Sunday, January 18, 2009

Spring is coming...

This past Friday evening I went to my churches women of radiance banquet. To be honest I went because I was asked if I would be interested in displaying some of my artwork. And so I saw this as opportunity for me to get people to see what I have done, and see the talents of other women. But of course God just didn't want that to be my only reason. I mean that would be too simple, come to a banquet display my work, eat some amazing dessert and listen to some special women share. Too simple for God.

So let me just start by saying that the theme for the night was seasons, the different seasons we encounter with our walk with the Lord. My sister and I were looking over the different seasons and what they generally bring into our lives. And of course when I read winter, I was like "Yea, that’s def. where I'm at right now...a season of reflection" and I also made the comment, "I can't wait for spring, a season of impartation" and I just left it alone. The evening started with a light hearted skit about WOMAN. Then we had time to fellowship and share with the women at our table. This was great. This lasted for about 20 minutes, and was then transitioned into the sharing of the different seasons. This is where God rocked me.

Spring was the first season to be shared; the lady got up and started talking. She started by giving the definition of spring (new, growth, to come up, fresh)...all things a person would naturally associate with spring. She then proceeded to share about her life during this season, and then gave three different people who are processing spring (the leftover, the wallflower, and the broken one). At that very moment I just was like wow! God what is happening, my emotions started to well up and I could feel a bawl inside of me that needed to spring forth. But because I didn't want people looking at me I held it in. At the same time trying to process where the emotions were coming from. At the close of this ladies testimony she shared a line from a song that encouraged the spring season of her life "wallflower come dance with me, leftover you’re just what I need, broken one you will be my queen" again the tears wanted to gush from my eyes, but I held it in.

As I started to process my emotions, I was like God this must just be me being emotional. The next season to share was summer, but I didn’t have the same emotional high as I did for spring. And I didn’t really think anything of it. They then transitioned into a worship dance done to the song “every season” by Nicole Nordeman. The song went through the different seasons, and it was just beautiful. Then the same emotions I had encountered during the sharing of the season of spring happened again. “and everything that’s new, has bravely surfaced teaching us to breathe what was frozen through, is newly purposed turning all things green, so it is with you and how you make me new.” These lines sparked that emotional overflow of tears. And again I was just like God where is this coming from why tonight, why here, why? But again I refrained from crying and letting that emotion get the best of me.

Autumn and winter spoke and I was fine, nothing sparked me. Nothing really at that point shook me like spring. So I was just like ok, what is it about spring, what do you want me to know. And on the car ride home I asked God what he wanted me to know, what he was doing in me, why I was so overly captivated by the season of spring. And he responded with, “spring is coming” That was all I needed to hear, once that happened I had such a peace. And I was like,”ok God.” Spring is coming…don’t know what it looks like, but I think I’m ready.

2 comments:

Terri said...

This speaks to me... "spring is coming." I love spring because everything before it dies (some things can't survive in the cold), but then seeds are planted in the spring, God sends the rain and things begin to grow. Life seems to be richer in the spring, too. There's a sense of rebirth in the air - like something new just happened :) Ah, I love that wallflower song, too - by Laura Woodley. Funny, since the new year, that song has been in HEAVY rotation on my ipod! LOL.

I love your creativity and words, Isa!
Hugs to you!

Terri

Anonymous said...

I love God and The Holy Spirit for being able to stir up something on the inside at a time when you'd rather not be bothered, don't want to make a scene or be the center of attention, or just a time when you feel is like.. Really, right now God? I love that. I used to have moments like that In Church all the time. Not even during sermons, or programs, just randomly sometimes or when others feel the spirit and shout. I used to clench my jaw so tight as to not let out the well of emotions inside of me. Now, I come to embrace it! It just lets me know that when God speaks to me, I can hear him and im definitely listening!

I feel like Spring is generally a new beginning for everyone. Shedding the cold of winter, the clothes, the mindset, the lonely, homebody life. I don't look forward to a new beginning january 1, but in spring as well.

Bless!

- Ashley